Parking on Miltown Malbay’s main street will be restricted during this year’s Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy “to ensure the safety of both attendees and road users”.
Plans for traffic management, public toilets, refuse collection and more have been revealed at this week’s meeting of West Clare’s local elected representatives.
Following the success of last year’s edition of the legendary festival which began in 1973, West Clare Municipal District staff have met with the festival committee and An Garda Síochána to discuss arrangements for 2026.
The West Clare MD has described planning as “well advanced”, with a key change being that parking restrictions will be in effect along the town’s main street.
This, it says, is “to ensure the safety of both attendees and road users”, with additional parking identified at nearby locations.
Cathaoirleach of the West Clare MD, Lahinch Fine Gael Councillor Bill Slattery, says preventing vehicles from parking on the main street is a no-brainer.
This week’s meeting of West Clare local elected representatives heard that these restrictions will be enforced by barriers which will be put in place along the street.
Cree Independent Councillor Dinny Gould isn’t convinced this measure will have the desired effect.
It was revealed at the meeting that portable toilets will be provided this year while increased refuse collection and cleaning arrangements are being finalised.
It’s also been confirmed that casual trading licences will be issued in the coming weeks and that these include conditions relating to “designated locations and operational requirements”.
This year’s festival will be the 54th edition of the much-loved musical event and runs from Saturday July 4th to Sunday July 12th.
Lisdoonvarna Fine Gael Councillor Joe Garrihy believes it will be plain sailing.
Listen to the full interview here

