The Department of Justice is to be asked to reduce the number of asylum seekers who are set to be accommodated in Lisdoonvarna.
Clare’s Oireachtas members are meeting with Junior Minister David Stanton later, in light of the controversy surrounding the planned opening of the centre at the King Thomond Hotel next week.
The contracts have now been signed with the opening planned for next Monday, despite concerns raised by the local community.
Hotelier Marcus White has confirmed that the contract for a Direct Provision Centre at his King Thomond Hotel has been signed.
It’s expected that up to 115 asylum seekers will be accommodated there over the course of the coming 12 months, with the first of those arriving next Monday.
At a meeting last Wednesday, 93% of those balloted voted against the plans for the direct provision centre, as they stand, with the number of asylum seekers coming, and the impact on community resources, the main concerns.
Theresa O’Donoghue of the Public Participation Network says the local community doesn’t feel their concerns have been addressed.
She hopes a planned meeting with Department officials, that was due to take place last week will go ahead in the coming days.
Clare’s Oireachtas members are meeting with the Minister of State at the Department of Justice, David Stanton in light of the controversy.
Fine Gael TD Joe Carey has hit out at the Department’s handling of the situation, saying the fears and concerns of the local community haven’t been allayed.
While Clare’s Fianna Fáil TD says the vast majority of the local community want to welcome the asylum seekers but are concerned that villages resources can’t cope with such a high number.
Deputy Timmy Dooley hopes today’s meeting with Minister Stanton will result in a commitment to limit the numbers of people who will be accommodated there.