Clare County Council is being urged to reconsider the operation of the Ennis COVID-19 temporary mobility plan.
Phase two of the plan, which will see an extension of emergency road closures until next May, is set to begin on Monday.
But there are concerns in some quarters about the operation of the plan.
Phase one of this plan came into force in Ennis in mid-May, in response to the Government guidelines for social distancing.
Proposals to pedestrianise much of the town centre had previously been supported in a survey of local traders, but such a move on a permanent basis continues to be met with opposition by some.
This week, the local authority has issued a circular to local businesses, outlining an extension of the emergency road closures until May of 2021 to allow for the installation of retractable bollards. The circular states that the changes may not need to stay in place for the full period and the hours of application or some of the elements may be amended in line with Government guidelines.
A trader in Ennis for the last 40 years, Noel Tierney of Tierneys’ Cycles says while he understands the council have to protect public health, the measures in Ennis are too much:
Councillor Johnny Flynn says the traders have a number of valid concerns which should be considered by the local authority but public safety during this time is a real concern:
In a statement to Clare FM, Clare County Council says it will endeavour to keep Ennis as accessible as possible for all for the duration of the Covid-19 pandemic by implementing changes as Government guidelines change.