Welcome to another episode of Ours To Protect, as we take a closer look at biodiversity and sustainability.
Today, Pat Flynn visits Slieve Elva B&B, the first Co Clare business to achieve certification with Sustainable Travel Ireland and the first B&B in Ireland to attain the prestigious gold level certification in sustainable tourism.
Located in the Burren close to the Wild Atlantic Way, Slieve Elva B&B provides a home-from-home experience and is run by husband-and-wife team Kris and Ireen Claes who hail originally from Belgium. The pair started their business in 2014.
Pat spoke with Kris Claes.
* Start with the small easy things, ‘the low hanging fruit’, like changing to LED lightbulbs.
* Install thermostatic valves on radiators.
* If sustainability isn’t high on your agenda, think about the financial savings you could make. This can be an incentive to make your home or business more sustainable
* While changing from oil to biofuel will probably not save you much if any money, it is considerably better for the environment a good to do.
* Install a water harvesting system for the garden and greenhouse.