Welcome to another episode of Ours To Protect, as we take a closer look at biodiversity and sustainability in Co Clare.
For this episode Pat Flynn visited the Falls Hotel in Ennistymon where management and staff have made great strides to make theirs a greener and more sustainable business.
The property has changed hands a number of times during its over 200 year history but has been in the ownership of the McCarthy family since 1986 when there were just 20 bedrooms.
The McCarthys have overseen significant developments including the addition of 120 bedrooms, a swimming pool, leisure centre and spa.
Sharon Malone is Sales and Marketing manager and Green Leader at the Falls Hotel.
She joined the team at a time when the owners were already looking closely at the issue of sustainability and reducing the business’s carbon footprint.
* Monitor your water and electricity output to see where waste may be occurring
* Monitor your food usage and see whether you have much waste. Take steps accordingly
* Install aerators in shower heads and urinals
* These are measures that can be undertaken within a business or in the home
* Staff buy-in. In the case of a business, it’s important that staff buy into any measures to make your business greener and sustainable. This can be done be informing them of the measures you’re proposing and how they will benefit the business.