Clare Man Accused Of Online Threats To Kill To Face Additional Charges

Photo (c) by EKATERINA BOLOVTSOVA from Pexels vis Canva
A Co Clare man charged with threatening to kill or cause serious harm to two men via social media is to face two additional charges, a court has heard.


At Ennis District Court today, Sgt John Burke said that DPP directions have been received in the case and the case against Martin Hannon is to go forward to the circuit court.

Sgt Burke said that the accused is to also face two additional charges to be brought to court in two weeks time.


In the case, Martin Hannon (41) with an address of an apartment at Boheraroan, Newmarket on Fergus is already charged with a threat to kill or cause serious harm to two males on dates between November 6th and November 16th last.

In the case, Mr Hannon is charged without lawful excuse, making a threat to kill or cause serious harm to Devipyemaan Devipyemaan and Michael Hillard.

The two charges are contrary to Section 5 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997.

Those convicted of such offences in the district court face a prison term up to 12 months while more serious penalties apply in the circuit court where those convicted can face prison terms up to 10 years.

Mr Hannon was excused from attending today’s brief court hearing but Judge Alec Gabbett asked that he attend court in two weeks time on April 17th where the two new charges will be brought against the accused.
As part of his bail conditions, Mr Hannon is to stay off all social media platforms and not make broadcasts from any social media platform.

In court previously, Det Sgt Noelle Bergin gave evidence of arresting Mr Hannon on Limerick’s Dock Rd at 2.50pm on November 16th last.

Mr Hannon was charged with the two offences at Shannon Garda Station on November 17th and made no reply when charged.

Judge Gabbett has previously granted legal aid to solicitor, Stiofan Fitzpatrick to represent the accused.

The bail conditions also require Mr Hannon to lodge €500 cash, sign on once a week at his local Garda station and have no direct or indirect contact with the alleged injured parties.

Judge Gabbett further remanded Mr Hannon on continuing bail to appear in court on April 17th