Clare District Soccer Match Reports (week ending 8th September 2019)

Maloney Garden Machinery Premier Division


Shannon Town A 4-0 Sporting Ennistymon


Lynch Park was the venue for this premier league encounter played in glorious conditions. Shannon Town started the better of the teams controlling long periods of possession but were unable to break down the Ennistymon defence until the half hour mark.

Some good inter play between Rob Wall and Gary O’Connell created a chance for Colin Scanlan whose shot was only parried away onto the incoming Kai Khetan to tap in from 2 yards out. Town pressed hard for the second only to be denied by the brilliance on the Ennistymon keeper on two occasions.

Ennistymon started the second half brightly and will feel unlucky not to have equalize after creating 2 glorious chances one that was saved by the advancing keeper and the second hitting the side netting from 6 yards out. Shannon Town effectively killed the game off with 2 quick goals in a 3 minute spell.

First was a well taken finish from Rod Wall on 60 minutes and then O’Connell popped up at the back post to prod home the third and ending any chance Ennistymon had of a recovery. On 70 minutes Colin Scanlan converted from the penalty spot to make it 4-0.

Shannon will be happy with the result and also with the performance of Kai Khetan who turned in a man of the match performance.

Shannon Town A: Luke Whelan, Jack Carrig, Aidan Leahy, Eoin Guinan, Darren Griffin, Brandon O’Halloran, Brian O’Connor, Gary O’Connell, Colin Scanlan, Rob Wall, Kai Khetan

Subs: Ben O’Neill for Wall, Rory Hayes for O’Halloran, Dan Kotsulyak for Scanlan, Chris Lake for O’Connor, Fergal McCarthy for Leahy

Sporting Ennistymon: Connor Gallagher, Daragh Flynn, Ciaran Monaghan, Michael O’Dwyer, Paddy Doherty, Eoin Marrinan, Darren McNamara, Tomas Cullinan, Ciaran McMahon, Gary Lafferty, Cian Fahy

Sub: Cormac Reidy for Fahy

Referee: Shane Hayes


Newmarket Celtic A 2-1 Shannon Olympic

Newmarket Celtic went top of the Premier Division with victory over Shannon Olympic at McDonough Park on Sunday. Newmarket took an early lead when a David McCarthy cross was only half cleared and Eoin Hayes was on hand to finish well past Trevor O’Donnell in the Olympic goal.

Olympic responded well to going a goal behind and were back on level terms on 15 minutes when Deaglan McDonald got on the end of a cross and finished well.

Newmarket pushed hard to regain the lead but Olympic were defending well and O’Donnell was not being tested until good play from David O’Grady and Michael Junaid saw Ronan McCormack get some space and he made no mistake with a well struck effort to the roof of the Olympic net. 2-1 to Newmarket at half time.

There was very little chances throughout the second half with the best chance falling to Junaid who missed from 6 yards. David McCarthy went close with an effort from 20 yards before full time that O’Donnell did well to save. Overall Newmarket will be happy with the victory but know their is work to be done on this performance.

Newmarket Celtic A: Marty Whelan, David O’Grady, Paddy Purcell, Stephen Kelly, Eoin O’Brien, Cathal Hayes, Callum McNamara, Ronan McCormack, Michael Junaid, David McCarthy, Eoin Hayes

Subs: Kevin Hartnett for McNamara, Ian Collins for Cathal Haye, Jason O’Neill for McCormack

Referee: Mark Rellis


Avenue Utd A 1-1 Turnpike Rovers

Avenue Utd and Turnpike Rovers played out a draw in a well contested town derby at Roslevan on Sunday. Conor Mullen scored the opener for Avenue with a header on twenty minutes. Turnpike equalised on 40 minutes with a diving header from Kevin O’Connor. 1-1 at the break.

Avenue had a lot of possession throughout the second half but Turnpike had the best chance to score when Conor Mullen back pass was short and goalkeeper James Tierney was left stranded but luckily for the home side Turnpike were unable to take advantage.

Turnpike looked for a penalty on 80 minutes after Jason White went down in the box but it was waved away. Avenue pressed hard in the closing stages for a winning goal with Cian McDonagh going closest with a shot that was saved by Dermot Gannon.

On the day a draw was a fair result with Turnpike the happier of the two teams after getting their first point of the season.

Avenue Utd A: James Tierney, Simon Cuddy, Shane Browne, Conor Mullen, Dylan Casey, Kaylan O’Loughlin, Richie Fitzgerald, Cian McDonough, Gary Roche, Philip Talty, David O’Halloran

Subs: Alan Roche for Roche, Mikey Dinan for Fitzgerald

Turnpike Rovers: Dermot Gannon, Cathal Darcy, Dean Gardiner, Ethon Considine, Fergal Brennan, Jason White, Kevin O’Connor, Sean McNamara, Sean Corry, Cian Cormley, Cillian Roughan

Sub: William O’Keeffe for Gormley

Referee: Pa Gleeson


Lifford A 5-1 Bridge Utd A

Lifford started the quickest and Matty Davenport played a good ball across the box for Dean Coughlan who missed the target from a good position on 3 minutes. It was same combination that opened the scoring with some great football from Davenport as he played Coughlan through who this time made no mistake to put Lifford 1-0 in front.

Bridge were back on level terms when Kieran Quinlan was left unmarked from a corner and made no mistake. Bridge had a good bit of the ball after the equalizer without creating any clear cut chances.

Lifford regained the lead after some neat passing saw the ball fall to Ruairi Norrby on the edge of the box and he drilled his shot low and hard to the bottom corner to make 2-1 Lifford. The 3rd came just before half time when Lifford captain and man of the match Gary McNaboe nicked in ahead of the defender who pulled him down for a penalty.

McNaboe slotted it home to make it 3-1. The second half saw Bridge press high up and were looking to win the ball high up but they left gaps at the back which Lifford exposed with a precision through ball from Ethan Mcnevin to Davenport who shrugged off the defender and slotted pass keeper Mulready.

Lifford’s 5th goal saw a good finish from Jason Devitt who come off the bench and picked up a ball on the edge of the box and finished well to the bottom corner. Lifford kept the pressure on to the end to run out comfortable winners in the end of a game where both sides were missing a few regulars.

Lifford A: Sean O’Reilly, John Allan, Ruairi Norrby, Ian McMahon, TJ Ajisomo, Adrian Walsh, Ethan McNevin, Matty Kearney, Gary McNaboe, Dean Coughlan, Matty Davenport

Subs: Jason Devitt for Kearney, Eddie Killeen for Allan

Bridge Utd A: John Mulready, Davy Lynch, Joan Phillipe, Julio Perez, Anton Mannering, Eric Carr, Kieran Quinlan, Danny Mannering, Jordan Downes, Conor Maxwell, Ethan Slater

Subs: Eoin Maxwell for Quinlan, Eli O’Sullivan for Conor Maxwell, Kyle Walker for Danny Mannering

Referee: Martin O’Brien


T Sheils & Company First Division League


Mountshannon Celtic 0-6 Hermitage A

Hermitage made the trip to Scarriff on Sunday morning and came away with a surprisingly easy victory over Mountshannon Celtic. Man of the match Keith Killeen scored a hat trick while Jason Russell scored a brace and Emrah Zekiri rounded off the scoring for the Ennis side.


Tulla Utd 2-2 Kildysart Celtic

Kildysart started this game very well with some lovely passing moves but fell behind after 10 minutes when Tulla scored from close range through Alex Cronin. Things got even worse for the visitors 5 minutes later when the home side doubled their lead from the penalty spot with a goal from Conor Whelan. The visitors slowly started to get on top and got a goal back on 25 minutes when Eoin Griffin headed powerfully to the net from a pinpoint Brian Markham delivery. Kildysart were playing some great football at this stage with Oisin Coyle and Daniel Kelly causing all sorts of problems and deservedly drew level 10 minutes before the break when Markham scored with a free kick from 25 yards. Kildysart indeed were unlucky not to be in front at halftime when Conor Hassett saw his shot blocked.

After the excitement of the first half the second was a more cagey affair with the visitors continuing to press and Tulla being very dangerous on the counter. Conor Hassett saw a screamer from 25 yards pushed around the post by the home keeper while Brian Eyres who was introduced for the last 20 minutes created a couple of great chances. At the end of 90 minutes a draw was a fair result in a game where Kildysart youths players Conor Hassett and Jack Cahill made their full debuts for the club.

Kildysart Celtic: Damien Hill, Kieran Connelly, Francie O Reilly, Conor Donnellan, Eoin Griffin, Brian Markham, Oisin Coyle, Daniel Kelly, Gerry Finn, Conor Hassett, Jack Cahill

Subs: Kieran Neenan for Cahill, Brian Eyres for Finn

Referee: Martin O’Brien


Newmarket Celtic B 3-1 Moher Celtic A

Newmarket Celtic B made a winning start to their league campaign with victory over Moher Celtic at McDonough Park on Sunday. Ciaran McCoy, Gavin O’Donnell and Glen Murray scored for Newmarket. Kevin Falvey scored for Moher.


Lifford B 3-3 Corofin Harps

Lifford B and Corofin Harps shared the points in 6 goal thriller at Cassidy Park on Sunday. Mark Donovan scored a brace for Lifford and Joe Lynch also scored. Cian O’Dea scored a brace for Corofin and Steven Keane also scored.


Avenue Utd B 1-0 Ennis Town

In quite a fast paced entertaining tie it was Avenue who emerged victorious with the vital moment coming in the 32nd minute when the impressive Manus Doherty fired a shot across the goalmouth before deflecting in off the unfortunate Town Defender.

In truth it was no more than Avenue deserved as Town can be thankful to Mark Cleary in goal who produced a string of vital saves to keep his side in touch.

With this resolute attitude shown by Cleary and James Ferns Town were always going to get a chance and they duly did when Evan Kelly cut inside beating two Avenue defenders before firing low only to see Aidan Jordan produce a fine save with his outstretched leg.

Avenue had fine performances from a number of players but special mention must go to full back Cullen McCabe who was magnificent. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable game for the large crowd. Man of the Match Mark Cleary.

Avenue Utd B: Aidan Jordan, Cullen McCabe, David Smyth, Patrick Sherlock, Conor Hehir, Conor McDaid, Eoin O’Loughlin, Patrick McDaid, Tomas Hehir, Lee Clohessy, Manus Doherty

Ennis Town: Mark Cleary, Darragh Murphy, Eoin Murphy, James Ferns, Stephen Horgan, Eoin Keenan, Peter O’Brien, Sion Hickey, Evan Kelly, Elias Kunz, Niall Cahill

Referee: Mark Rellis


Campion Insurance Second Division League Cup Group A


Rhine Rovers 3-0 Bridge Utd B

Rhine Rovers had a comfortable victory over Bridge Utd in Lees Road astro on Sunday. Rhine started the better of the two and were duly rewarded when Darragh Ryan finished well after a good Johnny O’Brien delivery. Rovers repeated the trick on 24 minutes when Paddy Tiernan pounced from a corner.

The tie was over 20 minutes into the second half when Ronan O’Donnell showed great strength and pace before cooly slotting home. Rovers head into the league next week in good form.


Campion Insurance Second Division League Cup Group B


Manus Celtic A 2-1 Moher Celtic B

Manus came from a goal down to record a two one victory. Moher took an early lead when Steven Murray dispatched a free kick superbly into the bottom corner from 25 yards. Manus equalised when Eamon Callinan got on the end of an Aidan Ryan flick on before slotting home. One apiece at the interval. Manus took the spoils thanks to an Evan Wiley screamer when he superbly volleyed to the roof of the net from 20 yards.


Coole FC 4-1 Rineanna Rovers

Coole FC made it 4 wins from 4 games to qualify for the Second Division League Cup Final and a meeting with Shannon Town B later this month. The homes sides goals came from Darren Grealish, Fergus Tuohy, Gary McGrath and an own goal. Liam O’Connor scored for Rineanna.


Suttons Lighting Third Division League


Connolly Celtic 2-2 Manus Celtic B

Connolly Celtic and Manus Celtic B played out an entertaining draw at Kilmaley on Sunday. Connolly started the better of the two and were duly rewarded when Craig Murray finished a well worked move. Kieran Dillion added a second which looked to have settled the tie.

Manus had other ideas and great work by Colin Brigdale teed up Adrian Mcdonagh who made no mistake from close range. With ten minutes to go Manus equalised when McDonagh got on the end of a first time cross from Alan Considine. Overall a highly competitive 3rd division tie with a draw being the fairest outcome.


Cloughleigh Celtic 1-1 Shannon Town C

In an action packed day in Lees Road astro the spoils were shared in this 3rd division encounter. Cloughleigh’s Peter Keenan put the home side in front with a good finish. Towns hit back with a goal from Milan Lebec. Overall a draw was the fairest outcome.


Ennis Dons 0-5 Shannon Hibs B

Hibs started the brighter and went 1 up after 5 minutes when Conor McPhilips played a lovely through ball to Jimmy Houlihan who slotted the ball into the bottom corner. Hibs kicked on from here and Thomas McDade made a lovely run down the line and buried the ball into the corner.

From here on Hibs dominated the match with Kieran Devitt controlling the midfield. On 30 minutes Jimmy Houlihan played a through ball for Damo Halpin who rounded the keeper and finished to make it 3-0. The second half was more of the same.
On 60 minutes Jimmy Houlihan broke down the wing and played a cross for Damo Halpin who made no mistake to make it 4-0. With Ennis Don’s pushing on for a goal Hibs broke with a through ball from Jake McNamara, Jimmy Houlihan ran through and rounded the keeper to make it 5-0 to make it an excellent start to the league for the Shannon side.

Best for Hibs were Dave Egan, Kieran Devitt and Damo Halpin.


Inch Crusaders 3-0 Hermitage B

Inch Crusaders turned in an impressive performance to defeat Hermitage B at Lees Road on Sunday. Rory Killeen gave Inch a deserved lead midway through the first half. Padraig Talty made it 2-0 to Inch right on half time after getting some space in the box and finishing well.

Inch continued to create chances in the second half but were denied by some good saves from Conor Liddy in the Tage goal. Their second half resistance was finally broken on 70 minutes when a good delivery from Niall Gavin was finished by a powerful header from Emmet Pyne.

Hermitage kept going to the end and were unlucky not to pull a goal back in the closing stages when a shot from Mikey Whyte was well saved by James Rynne. Man of the match Liam Crowe.

Inch Crusaders: James Rynne, Niall Gavin, Emmet Pyne, Noel Barry, Darragh Gregan, Liam Crowe, Ronan Grace, Mark Clancy, Sean O’Connor, Padraig Talty, Rory Killeen

Subs: Aaron Moloney for Gregan, Cian Moloney for Clancy, David Moloney for Crowe, Eric Griffin for Gavin, Michael Hickey for Killeen

Hermitage: Conor Liddy, Graham Callinan, Jamie Kenneally, Nathan Sherlock, Caleb Doyle, Piotr Cichocki, Sean Moloney, Kevin Considine, Massimo Coote, Mikey Whyte, Cian Courtney

Subs: Radek Makuna for Courtney, Imit Zekiri for Kenneally, Pa Devanney for Moloney, Rajat Maindoliya for Considine

Referee: James Ferns


CSGL Electrical Youths League A Division


Tulla Utd A 1-4 Bridge Utd

Bridge Utd turned in an very good performance to defeat Tulla Utd at the Cragg on Saturday. The Bridge goals came from Liam Buckley, Scott Kirkland, Storm Devanney and an own goal. Jack McSweeney scored for Tulla.


Shannon Town 3-2 Sporting Ennistymon

Shannon Town had to work hard to keep their 100% record in the youths league after defeating Sporting Ennistymon in a 5 goal thriller at Corrib Drive on Saturday. Tomi Adeniyi, Jack Ryan and Charlie Morrison scored for Shannon Town. Cian McMahon and Tommy Garrihy scored for Ennistymon.


CSGL Electrical Youths League B Division


Kildysart Celtic 1-1 Corofin Harps

Kildysart Celtic and Corofin Harps shared the points in the youths league after a 1-1 draw at Kildysart on Saturday. Shane Griffin put Kildysart in front in the first half. Cillian McGroary helped earn his side a draw when he scored from the penalty spot in the second half.

Corofin Harps: Luke Neylon, Colin Farr, Michael Cahill, Cillian McGroary, Donnacha Farrell, Conor Leen, Diarmuid Cahill, Cian Doolin, Cian Cassidy, James Collins, Shane O’Brien

Subs: Shane Meehan for Cassidy, Niall Foley for Farr


Tulla Utd B 6-1 Manus Celtic

There was no stopping Tulla Utd B at the Cragg on Saturday when goals from Ronan Dooley (2), Adam O’Neill, Ian McNamara, Dara Ryan and Emmet Lynch helped them defeat Manus Celtic. Donal O’Driscoll scored for Manus.


Kilrush Rangers 1-7 Ennis Town

Ennis Town made it 2 wins from 2 games in the youths league after defeating Kilrush Rangers at Kilrush on Saturday. Denis Dluha (2), Thomas Collins, Robbie Gormely, Chibi King, Ian McGuane and Jashar Aliu scored for the visitors while their goalkeeper Andrew Skerritt made 5 brilliant saves throughout the match. Garry Cunningham scored for Kilrush.