Clare District Soccer Match Reports (week ending 18th August 2019)

Maloney Garden Machinery Premier Division


Kilrush Rangers 1-2 Shannon Olympic


Shannon Olympic made the trip to Kilrush on Friday night and came away with a good three points after recovering from being a goal down at half time to record a 2-1 victory. Kilrush led at the break through a goal from from Dylan Downes. Olympic hit back in the second half with goals from Dean Power and Karl Scott.

Man of the match was Dan Clair who was excellent throughout for Olympic at the back.

Kilrush Rangers: Johnny O’Connor, Kyle McKiernan, Scott Greaney, John Kelliher, Trevor Clancy, Chris Hehir, Terry Herlihy, Dean Neary, Liam Madigan, Dylan Downes, Tommy Lillis

Subs: Dylan Russell for Herlihy, Sorren Rafferty for Greaney, Danny Clancy for Kelliher, Patrick Romanowski for Neary, Ger Russell for Lillis

Shannon Olympic: Wayne Regan, Dean Power, Dan Clair, Eric Ogran, BJ Cantillon, Derek Maxwell, Karl Scott, Ray Quigley, Adam Harrington, Declan McDonald, Jason Regan

Subs: Darren Dougan for Harrington, Paul Dady for Power

Referee: Brian Punch


Newmarket Celtic A 0-0 Bridge Utd A

Bridge Utd made the trip to McDonough Park on Friday night and came away with a deserved share of the points against the defending champions Newmarket Celtic. This was the first time Newmarket dropped points in the league in nearly 2 years and first time they have failed to score in the league since April 2016.

Overall, Bridge were unlucky not to take all three points with a tremendous save from Newmarket keeper Shane Cusack in the second half from a shot from Jordan Downes into the right corner the closest either side came to making the breakthrough.

Newmarket dominated possession for long periods of the game with left back Darren Cullinan overlapping and providing decent balls into the Bridge defence.

However, Darren Murphy and youth star Liam Buckley soaked up a lot of the pressure with Buckley putting in a fine man of the match performance. Goalkeeper John Mulready marshaled his defence well throughout.

Newmarket brought on Jason O’Neill in the second half and he did very well on the wing and was unlucky to see a header go narrowly wide near the finish in what was Newmarket’s best chance of
the match. Overall a good entertaining game and lot to build on for both sides.

Newmarket Celtic A: Shane Cusack, David O’Grady, Darren Cullinan, Colum Treacy, Paddy Purcell, Kevin Hartnett, Ian Collins, Colin Smyth, Garry Higgins, Callum McNamara, Ronan McCormack

Subs: Jason O’Neill for Collins, Paudie Hayes for Smyth, Gavin O’Donnell for Higgins

Bridge Utd A: John Mulready, Liam Buckley, Darren Murphy, Dan Larkin, Davy Lynch, Eric Carr, Kevin Kelly, Danny Mannering, Mark Pewter, Kieran Quinlan, Jay Whyte

Subs: Ethan Slater for Mark Pewter, Jordan Downes for Quinlan, Scott Kirkland for Mannering

Referee: Martin O’Brien


Sporting Ennistymon 0-5 Avenue Utd A

Avenue Utd made the trip to Lahinch on Friday evening and came away with an easy victory on the night. Avenue went in front on 30 minutes with a goal from Rory Brennan who finished well with a header from a Mark Roche cross. It was 2-0 to the visitors before half time when Mark Roche scored from the penalty spot after he was fouled in box.

Substitute Philip Talty made it 3-0 early in the second half. Goals in the closing stages from David O’Halloran and a second converted penalty from Mark Roche following a hand ball ensured a good start to the season for the Ennis side.

Sporting Ennistymon: Conor Gallagher, Joe Gallagher, Ciaran Monaghan, Patrick O’Doherty, Daragh Flynn, Eoin Marrinan, Darren McNamara, Gary Lafferty, Ciaran McMahon, Cathal McConigley, Byron Kenny

Subs: Shane Kearney, Nathan Garrihy, Joe Campbell

Avenue Utd A: Liam Keane, Mikey Dinan, Shane Brown, Simon Cuddy, Dylan Casey, Cian McDonough, Mark Roche, Alan Roche, Richie Fitzgerald, Ronan Kerin, Rory Brennan

Subs: Eamon O’Reilly, David O’Halloran, Gary Roche, Philip Talty

Referee: Sean Kenneally


Turnpike Rovers 1-3 Shannon Hibs A

Shannon Hibs made a winning debut in the premier division after getting the better of Turnpike Rovers at Lees Road on Friday night. Hibs started well and Dermot Gannon was called on to make 2 good saves in the early stages.

Hibs hit the front on 20 minutes after good play from Evin Barry created a chance for Gary Leahy who made no mistake firing low to the corner. Turnpike responded well to going a goal down and Damien Casey made a great save before Kevin O’Connor finished well on 30 minutes to level the match 1-1.

It remained 1-1 until 70 minutes when Pa Devaney restored the Shannon sides lead after firing home following a goalmouth scramble. Turnpike pushed for an equaliser in the closing stages which left gaps at the back. On 82 minutes

Darragh Leahy broke from his own half and linked up well with his brother Gary before firing past Gannon to wrap up a good victory and 3 points for the Shannon side. Man of the match Darragh Leahy.

Turnpike Rovers: Dermot Gannon, Greg Howard, Dean Gardiner, Fergal Brennan, Dean O’Grady, Kevin O’Connor, Jason White, Gavin Cooney, Eoin Moore, Sean Corry

Subs: Scott Hennessy for Moore, Ian McMahon for Howard, David McMahon for O’Connor, Cian Gormley for Gardiner

Shannon Hibs A: Damien Casey, Cathal McCoy, Nathan Walsh, Alex Cole, Pa Devaney, Andy Fitzgerald, Jamie Egan, Darragh Leahy, Gary Leahy, Jack Kelly, Evin Barry

Subs: Liam Delaney for Barry, Jamie O’Shea for Egan

Referee: Pa Gleeson


Shannon Town A 1-2 Lifford A

Shannon Town and Lifford played out an entertaining game in Lynch Park on Friday evening. Both sides played good football in the opening exchanges but without creating any clear cut chances. Lifford hit the front on 20 minutes when Ruairi Norrby finished well after being put through by Cian Bourke.

Shannon Town enjoyed a period of dominance after falling behind and Sean O’Reilly in the Lifford goal was called on to make two very good saves from Colin Scanlan and Kieran Hackett to keep his side in front. Shannon Town scored a deserved equaliser on 35 minutes when Darren Griffin headed home a corner.

Lifford finished the half well and a scored a great team goal to go back in front. Dan Daly played a 1-2 with Dean Coughlan and put in a superb ball into the box that was met by Gary McNaboe who under pressure headed home to leave it 2-1 to the visitors at the break.

Shannon Town put Lifford under a lot of pressure early in the second half and got a great chance to draw level on 60 minutes when the were awarded a penalty after Scanlan was fouled. Unfortunately for the home side Scanlan was off target with his effort that went over bar.

Lifford saw out the remainder of the game with man of the match O’Reilly in inspired form to earn a very good victory on the road to start the season.

Shannon Town A: Darren Whelan, Steven Carroll, Jack Carrig, Darren Griffin, Aidan Leahy, Evan Glynn, Kieran Hackett, Rob Wall, Colin Scanlan, David Cove, Brian O’Connor

Subs: Ben O’Neill, Fintan Quinn, Brandon O’Halloran

Lifford A: Sean O’Reilly, Dan Daly, John Maher, Darren Daly, Ethan Cronin, TJ Ajisomo, Gary McNaboe, Ethan McNevin, Cian Bourke, Dean Coughlan, Ruairi Norrby

Subs: Lunga Balman, Rhys Phillips, Matty Davenport, Keith Shea

Referee: Julian Sandford


T Sheils & Company First Division League Cup Group A


Hermitage A 0-1 Ennis Town

Ennis Town got their league cup campaign off to a winning start with victory over town rivals Hermitage at the Fairgreen on Saturday evening. Hermitage had the better of the chances throughout but could find no way past Mark Cleary in the Ennis Town goal and a strong defense led by man of the match James Ferns.

Just as it looked like there would be a share of the points Ferns broke up the field from the back on 92 minutes and played a defense splitting pass to substitute Evan Kelly who continued his impressive scoring form from the youths league last season to fire past Joe Burke to win the game for his side.

Hermitage A: Joe Burke, David Ruane, Emrah Zequiri, Eric Sholarin, Ben Quinn, Caleb Doyle, Adam Kamis Barra, Matthew Kearney, Keith Killeen, Tomas Radilek, Jason Russell

Subs: Cian Courtney, Imit Zequiri, Nathan Sherlock

Ennis Town: Mark Cleary, Stephen Horgan, Darragh Murphy, Eoin Keenan, James Ferns, Ion Lyons, Declan Ensko, Declan Meaney, Elias Kunz, Micheal Gallagher, Niall Cahill

Subs: Kevin Barron, Peter O’Brien, Aaron Twist, Evan Kelly, Ultan Sheils

Referee: Pa Gleeson


Tulla Utd 0-1 Newmarket Celtic B

Danny Conway scored the all important winning goal as Newmarket Celtic B got their league cup campaign off to a winning start at the Cragg on Friday night.

Referee: Frankie Coote


T Sheils & Company First Division League Cup Group B


Moher Celtic A 3-1 Kildysart Celtic

Moher Celtic made a good start to the season with victory over Kildysart Celtic at Lahinch on Sunday morning. Kevin Falvey scored a brace for Moher and Martin Garrihy also got in on the scoring. Jerry Finn replied for Kildysart.

Referee: Terry Kennedy


Avenue Utd B 10-0 Corofin Harps

Avenue Utd had an easy victory over an understrength Corofin side at Roslevan on Sunday morning. Thomas Hehir (4), Nathan Rezende (2), Eoghan Thynne (2), Conor McDaid and David Monaghan scored for Avenue.

Referee: Martin O’Brien


Campion Insurance Second Division League Cup Group A


Bridge Utd B 2-2 Shannon Town B

A share of the points was the outcome at Sixmilebridge on Sunday when Bridge Utd and Shannon Town got their season up and running. Jonathan Downes scored both goals for the Bridge. Adrian Carew and Eoin Collins scored for Shannon Town.

Referee: Julian Sandford


Kilkishen Celtic 2-4 Rhine Rovers

Rhine Rovers got the better of Kilkishen in an entertaining match at Kilkishen on Sunday. Andrew McMahon scored both goals for Kilkishen but goals from Paddy Tiernan, Adam Mullins, Chris McMahon and Johnny O’Brien ensured it would be a winning start to the season for Rhine Rovers.

Referee: Julian Sandford


Campion Insurance Second Division League Cup Group B


Bunratty Cratloe 1-7 Coole FC

Coole made the trip to Bunratty on Friday night and came away with a surprisingly easy victory. Star player for the visitors was Joe Copley who scored a hat-trick. Adriano Oliveira, Tom O’Neil, Darren Grealish and Gustavo Dutra also scored for the visitors. Paddy Twomey replied for the home side.

Referee: Martin Monaghan


Rineanna Rovers 3-2 Moher Celtic B

Rineanna made a good start to the season with victory over Moher Celtic at Ballycasey on Sunday morning. Rineanna were the better team throughout the first half and goals from Paul Butler, Raj Singh and Rory McBeth saw them lead 3-0 at half time.

Moher threw everything at Rineanna in the second and got back in the match with goals from Eoin Reidy and Steven Murray but try as they might they could not force an equaliser as Rineanna held on for a deserved victory on the day. Man of Match was Rineanna’s Colin Melody who was excellent on the wing throughout.

Referee: Museliu Bashua


Suttons Lighting Third Division League Cup Group A


Shannon Town C 0-1 Connolly Celtic

Connolly made a good start to the season with victory over Shannon Town at Corrib Drive on Sunday morning. Eoin Fitzgerald scored the winning goal for the visitors.

Referee: Frankie Coote


Shannon Hibs B 2-1 Cloughleigh Celtic

Shannon Hibs got their season up an running with a victory over newcomers Cloughleigh Celtic at Riverside on Sunday. Hibs had the better of the first half and 2 goals from Kieran Devitt had them 2-0 in front at the break. Cloughleigh came out a different team in the second with Emmet Bowe coming on and dominating in midfield.

Davie Keenan scored a great goal when getting on the end of a Michael Mongan free kick but despite throwing everything at the Shannon side in the closing stages they were unable to force an equaliser.

Referee: Museliu Bashua


Suttons Lighting Third Division League Cup Group B


Hermitage B 1-2 Inch Crusaders

Inch Crusaders made a good start to the season with victory over Hermitage B in an entertaining match at the Fairgreen on Friday night. Hermitage went in front with an early goal from Keith Killeen after good work from Alan Daly down the wing created the chance and Killeen made no mistake with the header.

Ronan Grace and Sean O’Connor had good efforts saved by Conor Liddy in the Hermitage goal as Inch pressed for an equaliser. Hermitage finished the half strong and James Rynne made a great save before half time to keep it 1-0 to Tage at the break.

It was end to end stuff in the second half and Inch drew level on 75 minutes when Padraig Talty got on the end of a Emmet Pyne free kick to head past Liddy. Rory Killeen pounced for the winning goal for Inch on 85 minutes after good pressure from a corner created the opening.

Referee: Niall Quinn


Ennis Dons 0-2 Manus Celtic B

Manus made a winning start to the season with a hard fought victory over Ennis Dons at Lees Road on Sunday. John Sherlock gave Manus an early lead but they can thank goalkeeper Pakie Healy for keeping them in front before Adrian McDonagh wrapped up the victory in closing stages.

Referee: Paudie Hayes