Lissycasey Dispatch Doora/Barefield

Picture © Clare FM

Lissycasey have recorded a six-point victory over St. Joseph’s Doora/Barefield in their first game of this year’s Clare Senior Football Championship.

The first half at a sun-drenched Cusack Park was an open affair, if not high-scoring as both teams fired a number of wides.

The highlight came of the first half after eight minutes when Ian Lyons of St. Joseph’s capitalised on a quickly-taken free and some good attacking work to score a goal from the best part of 25 metres, past a diving Joe Hayes.


Two Cathal Duggan frees were their only other scores of the half – the last not coming until the stroke of half-time.  Doora/Barefield also lost Philip Ryan to a black card.-

In the interim, Lissycasey were the better side with two points each coming from Niall Kelly (one free), Conor Finucane (both in quick succession in the 17th minute) and Mikey O’Neill.

At half-time it stood Lissycasey 0-6 St. Joseph’s Doora/Barefield 1-2.

It was relatively even in the early stages of the second half.  Cathal Duggan scored two points for St. Joseph’s – his second, from play, came on 48 minutes and was their first point from play in the entire game.  Francie Hayes, Conor Finucane and Niall Kelly pointed for Lissycasey – Kelly shooting over from close range, when goal was on offer.

A key moment came in the 23rd minute.  Doora/Barefield’s Alan O’Neill caught the ball close to goal, following an attacking sideline ball.  He turned and shot at goal but Joe Hayes made a point blank save.  A goal would have levelled matters, but instead St. Joseph’s found themselves four points behind when Conor Finucane pointed thirty seconds later.

Niall Kelly pointed again, and was then involved in the score that killed off the game.  St. Joseph’s tried to work a goal following a 45, but Lissycasey broke forward and Conor Talty found himself in space 15 yards from goal, and shot into the net past Niall Duggan.

Lissycasey’s Ryan Griffin was then sent off for a second yellow card, and Duggan tacked two more frees, but it wasn’t enough for St. Joseph’s.

Lissycasey progressed through to the Winners Stage of the second round with a 1-12 to 1-06 victory.