In the build-up to election 2020, Clare FM is meeting each of the candidates and allowing them a chance to outline to you, the voter, what they will do if elected on February 8th.
Outgoing TD Timmy Dooley is running once again for the Fianna Fáil party.
My Vision for Clare:
To see Clare develop as a strong and vibrant County built around urban and rural communities where people can work, live and enjoy life.
To see Clare develop further as an attractive location for small business to grow and develop while at the same time be attractive to multinational companies to locate here.
To lead the way in developing sustainable tourism that makes the most of our wonderful coastline on the Wild Atlantic Way, our Burren landscape and our hidden treasures such as Holy Island on Lough Derg.
To harness the enormous potential of off shore wind energy in the Atlantic Ocean providing employment for Clare and playing our part in meeting Climate Change objectives.
To protect our rural communities and our farming sector.
To see a county that’s open and welcoming to all and supportive of those least well off in our society.
My Priorities if Elected:
- Secure employment for the jobs lost in Molex, Avara & Moneypoint.
- Open more Hospital beds in Ennis and the Mid-West generally.
- Hire more Consultants, Hospital Doctors and Nurses.
- Build more social and affordable houses.
- Update aviation policy to level the playing pitch between Dublin and Shannon.
- Introduce policies to protect and improve the viability of suckler beef production.
- Introduce state supports to develop off shore wind energy projects to reach our climate
change targets and create much needed jobs.
- Support families with child care costs and reduce class sizes further.
- Properly resource quality Early Years child care as proposed by the BigStart campaign.
- Broadband and Mobile coverage across Clare needs urgent upgrading.
- Investment in Tourism infrastructure such as Holy Island on Lough Derg and the Greenway in the west of the County.
- Tackle the insurance rip off culture.
- 2007 – Current: Member of Dail Eireann
- 2002 – 2007: Member of Seanad Eirerann
- Previously worked in the private sector in sales and marketing & Business Development.